Saturday, March 28, 2009

To the Open Road...


In my early teens I discovered summer camping and fell in love with the wilderness. Unfortunately, adult life in the city - a career, etc., etc. - took me kept me away from the serenity of the great outdoors.

One day I read a book entitled Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck; that would kindle the campfire of desire to travel the open road. The lure of the open road, the adventures, wonders waiting for discovery, the chance of meeting interesting people; and perhaps self-discovery while taking in the scenery along the road, tugged at my very being. However, like many others who have “a burning desire” to be on the go, to be at “another place – any place,” but where they are anchored, I didn’t have the gumption to toss caution and excuses to the wind and “just do it!” Until finally, I decided no more excuses.

So I went out and bought a little tent; however after waking up one morning to my sleeping bag and air mattress floating during a thunderstorm, I decided I needed one of those "pop-up" trailers. After some trial and error manipulating this attachment to my car and difficulty finding a place to store it (I live in a co-op apartment), I was ready for something a little more convenient.

Then wahoo! In a photography magazine I saw a RV (recreational vehicle) camper that would be my escape. It was the perfect size, small for a big city dweller, quick weekend jolts and short vacation trips. Yes, this was it! The means to hit the open road and to cure the desire… as Steinbeck put it, “curing the itch…to be someplace else.”

As of July 1, 2007 I chucked 37 good years of teaching and retired (well semi-retired) ending another chapter of my life. My plan was to embark on a journey with my travel companion, Poochie, and begin a new chapter of what will be the rest of what's left of my life. For as long as I can, I want to travel the open road to new discoveries and maybe adventures.

Sadly, on March 26, 2009 my dear traveling companion moved on to a heavenly place and now I must travel with her in spirit knowing that she would have enjoyed every sight, sound, and smell.

I dedicate this blog to Poochie...

No comments:

Post a Comment