Saturday, August 29, 2009

RVing with the Dog...

Pooka's 1st Camping Trip...

I now have a new camping/traveling companion - Pooka. She is a 5-month-old Doxle: Dachshund & Beagle mix that I adopted from North Shore Animal League Shelter. Puppy training has definitely been a challenge (Poochie was a young adult dog when I adopted her), so I thought maybe a camping trip to the Catskill Mts. might do us some good. Well yes & no...

We were barely out of NYC when the dog was getting carsick (just my luck, my travel companion gets carsick!!!) Half way to the Catskills I call my Vet on Long Island for advice (I'll give some possible solutions at the end). Now of course, being in a new environment, although it is much more tranquil than the city, Pooka was a little apprehensive; particularly when the crowing of a rooster woke us up. She definitely didn't like being on the leash most of the time - but that's the campground's rule (and a wise one).

On the good side, potty training in the wildness is easy - she even woke me up in the middle of the night when she had to go, but seeing how dark it was she opt for the WeeWee pad in the camper. Pooka did finally seem to like the wilderness - the sounds (other than that rooster), the interesting creatures to see (chipmunks, bugs, birds, deer & even a bear), and the infinite number of smells of the woods.

The final analysis: I think Pooka is going to like camping. She is also very people friendly, so exploring the little towns will be a pleasure; with that cute face, those puppy eyes, the usual look about her, & tail-wagging eagerness to greet anyone who looks at her; she is an invitation for meeting people. Toward the end of our stay I noticed, like Poochie, she could also be a little protective of her campsite - warning me if people or creature were approaching before I even saw or heard them - very good quality.

I believe Poochie's spirit is proud of the new camper following in her paw steps.

Now, we just need to deal with the carsickness problem For long trips, 2 or more hours, the Vet recommended one Dramamine (found in the regular pharmacy) taken one hour before getting in the car. Also, possibly no food or very little 3-4 hours before leaving. I found having the dog's favorite chew toy a good occupier until she falls asleep. For short trips in the car (my dog would get carsick after 20 minutes), I found a Calming Aid gel sold in pet stores is easily taken by mouth & seems to work - so far. Hopefully, she will overcome this problem before we start taking serious road trips - like cross-country!

*

1 comment:

  1. Carsickness?

    I have never had that problem with any of my dogs, and whould never had evean thought of it till now.

    Hope it all works out! A dog RVing with you is the best way to go!!!

    Keep me posted on how things are going and in the meantime you may want to check out or web site at:

    http://lamorerving.com

    DAN

    ReplyDelete